Privacy Statement - your rights, your information and how we use it
Our Privacy StatementSTAR Project is committed to protecting your personal information.
Our Privacy Statement contains important information about what personal details we collect; what we do with that information; who we may share it with and why; and your choices and rights when it comes to the personal information you have given us.
We may need to make changes to our Privacy Statement/Policy; so please check our website for updates from time to time. This version of our Privacy Statement was last updated in September 2021. Given that STAR Project is a not-for-profit organisation, and given the nature of information we hold and process, we are exempt from notifying the Information Commissioner’s office under the terms in the legislation.
How to contact usIf you have any questions about our Privacy Statement or the information we collect or use about you, please contact;
FAO Data Protection
12-14 Wallace Street
Paisley PA3 2BU
Tel: 0141 889 5850
Information we collect and use
- Information about you that we may collect and use includes:
- Information about who you are e.g. your name, date of birth and contact details (including an emergency contact)
- Information about when and how you engage with our services e.g. Drop-In or group attendance, befriending appointments
- Information about your contact with us e.g. meetings, phone calls, emails / letters
- Information classified as ‘sensitive’ personal information e.g. relating to your health, marital or civil partnership status. This information will only be collected and used where it’s needed to provide the product or service you have requested or to comply with our legal obligations, and only with your explicit consent
Where we collect your informationWe may collect your personal information directly from you, from a variety of sources, including:
- Application and registration forms
- Referral forms or details for a specific service
- Phone conversations with us
- Emails or letters you send to us
- Signing up for one of our events
- Attendance records
- Our social media accounts
What we collect and use your information forWe take your privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use information which is personal to you where it is necessary, fair and lawful to do so. We will collect and use your information only where:
- You have given us your permission [consent] to contact you with information about products and services offered by us which we believe may be of interest and benefit to you
- It’s necessary to provide the product or service you have requested e.g. if you wish to attend one of our services or events
- It’s in the legitimate interests of STAR Project e.g. so we can carry out our obligations arising from any contractual agreements with you, funders, and trusted partners
Who we may share your information withWe may share your information with third parties for the reasons outlined in 'What we collect and use your information for.'
These third parties include:
- Organisations we have chosen to support us in the delivery of the products and services we offer to you and other clients e.g. Advice Renfrewshire appointments
Where your information is processedAll of your information is processed in the UK
How we protect your informationWe take information and system security very seriously and we strive to comply with our obligations at all times. Any personal information which is collected, recorded or used in any way, whether on paper, online or any other media, will have appropriate safeguards applied in line with our data protection obligations.
Your information is protected by controls designed to minimise loss or damage through accident, negligence or deliberate actions. Our employees also protect sensitive or confidential information when storing or transmitting information electronically.
Our security controls are aligned to good practice; providing a control environment that effectively manages risks to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your information.
How long we keep your informationWe will keep your personal information only where it is necessary to provide you with our services.
We may also keep your information after this period but only where required to meet our regulatory obligations. The length of time we keep your information for these purposes will vary depending on the obligations we need to meet.
Your individual rightsYou have several rights in relation to how STAR Project uses your information. They are:
Right of accessYou have the right of access to your personal information. If you wish to receive a copy of the personal information we hold on you, you may make a data subject access request (DSAR). This can be done in writing or verbally.
Right to request that your personal information be rectifiedIf your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you can request that it is corrected.
Right to request erasureYou can ask for your information to be deleted or removed if there is not a compelling reason for STAR Project to continue to have it.
Right to objectYou can object to STAR Project processing your personal information where: it’s based on our legitimate interests; for direct marketing; and if we were using it for scientific/historical research and statistics.
How to make a complaintWe will always strive to collect, use and safeguard your personal information in line with data protection laws. If you do not believe we have handled your information as set out in our Privacy Statement, please contact us at the contact details above.
If you are still unhappy, you can complain to the Information Commissioner https://ico.org.uk/concerns/